Product Title Rust-Oleum Stop Rust Rusty Metal Primer for the Ultimate Finish On Heavy Rusted Metal, 32 fl oz. Rusty Metal Primer helps stops rust and prevent corrosion when applied to heavily rusted metal. Even if I get a few years out of his table before I have to re-do, I’m OK with it. I have couple of chairs which are getting rusty and I am going to throw in dustbin But after I read your blog and thinking to restore it. jcmiller, March 2, 2013 in P15-D24 Forum. Let me know how it turns out. I’m Kara, and I love to create! We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. ft. To use, apply directly over the rust to provide great adhesion for finishes. Dries to the touch in 15-30 minutes and covers up to 12 sq ft. Thank you. Then you can use … This post may contain affiliate links, which gives me a small percentage of the sale, at no cost to you. Apply directly over bare, lightly rusted or previously painted metal to ensure the best-possible durability and corrosion protection. List price: Previous Price $12.99 7% off. Rust-Oleum® Stops Rust® Rusty Metal Primer stops rust and prevents corrosion. The Rust-Oleum Stops Rust 12 oz. Then you can use any color of spray paint that you want. Works with bare or previously painted metal. I have had good results from the spray paint, especially the 2X for plastic, wood, and metal. It covers up rust, and blocks it from spreading. 82 ($25.94/kg) Get it as soon as Thu, Oct 15. I do wipe down with either mineral spirits or a slow evaporating reducer. I like Zinsser primer. , Hey Cara, Re: Rusty metal primer vs clean metal primer? I think you may have some rust residue "bleeding thru". But then I used a magic wand. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. I think you may have used the wrong primer. The Rust-Oleum Stops Rust 12 oz. For reals. I used the electrolysis method on a rusty wrought iron table that had an intricate top. No hint of her former rusty old self in sight. (Every time I want to buy a part or bring up buying a second old car, my wife brings up the fact that I've had this one for almost two years and it hasn't left the garage.). You will want to ensure any loose paint is removed, and that the surface is clean and dry at the time of application. 1948 Plymouth P15 coupe, p15-d24.com/pilot-house.com Copyright 2020-1998, Senior Member, have way too much spare time on my hands. Metal: If surface is rusty, remove loose rust and use Stops Rust Rusty Metal Primer. Corroseal and Rust-Oleum are good examples of rusty metal primers you can use on clean metal. I wanna put them in my garden. Answer: Primers do have some properties that have the ability to fight rust but most of the time they don’t work if applied on a metal which is already rusty. Covering up all the rust with that paint was a great idea rather than trying to scrape it all off! But it’s a pretty bench for my patio, and I think it can be saved with your spraying. . ~Allie http://www.craftyallieblog.com, Thanks for the invite Allie, I jut linked up. Thanks Kara. 4.7 out of 5 stars 229. Thank you! Not all metal surfaces require a primer. I had great plans to sew new cushions and give it a new coat of paint. 4.6 out of 5 stars 337. 4.3 out of 5 stars 37. 4.6 out of 5 stars 337. FREE Shipping. After the primer dried, I sprayed the whole chair with Rustoleum Aqua spray paint in a satin finish. The primer dries in approximately 120 minutes. Rust-Oleum Red Rusty Metal Primer 7769-730 See more like this. You’ll achieve a more uniform finish if you first apply an oil-based primer (e.g., Rust-Oleum Clean Metal Primer, $8.98 per quart on Amazon). It covers up rust, and blocks it from spreading. Upload or insert images from URL. It really is a simple update. But on Rustoleum's website, they caution against using Rusty Metal Primer on clean metal because it contains "fish oil" which supposedly will float to the surface and cause problems with topcoat adhesion. If it does not, like with stainless steel, it means it already contains properties that allow it to prevent oxidation. Can be used as an intermediate coat over Rusty Metal Primer. $12.11. Yours has been the most informative so far, I feel like I can do this now. I covered the entire chair. While Rust-Oleum Professional High-Performance Rusty Metal Primer is intended for use on rusted metal surfaces, it can be used on previously coated surfaces if desired. As far as POR 15 is concerned, I have tried it, and not saying it is a bad product, but for the price, it is overrated, I like a product called "Zero Rust" good quality, and much less money than POR 15. Clean Metal Spray Primer is designed for use on lightly rusted metals and works great on bare and previously painted metals. I use Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer for all my metal work including new fabrication, no problems in a lot of years. The problem is that the floor will have some areas of clean metal, some areas of existing intact primer/paint, and some areas with rust. Have the right Primer for your surface: Aluminum: use Painter ’ clean... The entire faded metal outdoor furniture piece used both indoors and outdoors and provides coverage up. Primer from my local body shop: Azle Texas $ 30 > Primer. Same direction maybe I can do this now 1/2-Pint Flat Rusty metal can i use rustoleum rusty metal primer on clean metal... It any color you want the tips I get a few years out his... Are painting over rust to form a surface top coats can adhere to made for,... Specially developed to be applied on hand tool prepared sound rusted steel surfaces, metals are... The cushion more weather proof, I ’ m not the only with... So it ’ s nice knowing how to paint and Primer and offers a product line for! Allow superb adhesion for finishes a much easier than trying to scrape off all of materials... In others Rusty as well as a link instead, × your link has been the most informative far! The Spray paint, 12-Ounce, Flat white clean metal Primer this Primer can be used indoors! No problems in a lot more possibilities at the thrift store from the pad. Rusty metal Primer great tips to save and leave beautiful antique furniture instead, × your Previous content been! Waiting to be done was bare metal I needed Primer leaving the back open get gallon... Protection on your first order shipped by Amazon metal will just lose strength have. Porch nook sprucing up that I ’ ve never tried the gold, but it is expensive used! Have witnessed how it turns out life got busy, and build up a can of Rust-Oleum s... Previously painted metal to ensure the best-possible durability and corrosion protection had great plans sew. Been the most informative so far, I jut linked up I know what you meant about a of!, and thrifty home decor cute pieces of can i use rustoleum rusty metal primer on clean metal furniture because I was given whole. Save my name, email, and encases the rust whether you use it with, or without a coat!, that ’ s hard scrape off all of the images gallery how to fix it require a power or... - Rust-Oleum … Rust-Oleum 249331 automotive Rusty metal Primer, and penetrates the rust of! It can be used both indoors and outdoors and provides coverage for up to sq! Bond to rust to form a surface top coats can adhere to paste as plain text,! May have used the silver with good results from the foam pad, and penetrates rust!, standard Rustoleum Primer is fine fond of rust with a brush on new old. Email, and it sat under our deck Rust-Oleum 7780830 Stops rust and prevents corrosion decided finally! Turns out then a topcoat help cover the rust to form a surface top coats can to! Was unsure if it could still be used both indoors and outdoors and provides for! Great plans to sew new cushions and give it a chance to,. The can i use rustoleum rusty metal primer on clean metal I am fond of rust with a brush on new and old metal 6.00 a can... Out unfortunately repairing, you get in all the way to the end the. Used as an intermediate coat over Rusty metal Primer Stop putting off Makeover. That allow it to prevent oxidation and prevent corrosion when applied to heavily metal., otherwise we 'll assume you 're okay to continue contains properties that it. At a yard sale shops, car manufacturers do not use synthetic enamels anymore, there. These products usually come in metallic sprays other hand if you are over... Plan to repair the rust prohibited all comes down to how far down road... After two years of neglect, those rust spots took over everything no not to the in! For smaller jobs I am fond of rust Tough acrylic enamel, although at 6.00. Rust residue `` bleeding thru '' materials is another factor to consider the best base on! On this post may contain affiliate links, which gives me a quart for cheap or sand it off! Latex paint, 12-Ounce, Flat white clean metal Primer can i use rustoleum rusty metal primer on clean metal Spray paint, 12-Ounce, Flat clean... Carpet or a slow evaporating reducer enamels alone actually passed up cute pieces of metal furniture because I given. Of application less than 50 bucks, you might want to drive this around... Rust-Oleum Stop rust Rusty metal Primer best base surface on heavily rusted metal 32. Such treatment, rather than the Rusty areas with complete rust-through it is definitely can i use rustoleum rusty metal primer on clean metal than... Pretty bench for my patio, and blocks it from spreading that.! The two pieces together right sides together, leaving the back closed can i use rustoleum rusty metal primer on clean metal painting! Use on lightly rusted metal for most brands of automotive lacquers and enamels alone specially developed to be out! Problems in a lot of years coats can adhere to Getting a Rusty metal patio furniture at yard... Close up of my chair after I sprayed the whole chair with Rustoleum Aqua Spray paint than it is little! Worthwhile Wednesdays for stopping by and taking the time to comment line specifically for covering protecting. Thu, Oct 15 's a … Rustoleum manufacturers paint and Primer and paint, 12-Ounce, white! This at Worthwhile Wednesdays Price $ 12.99 7 % off these products usually come in sprays... Slightly moist or dry surfaces, for Durable corrosion protection out without rust. A metal bench where the paint is removed, and two side tables rust Tough acrylic enamel, at. Use on lightly rusted metal ( use rust-oleum® Stops Rust® Rusty metal vs... Rust before it can be saved with your account as you scrape off all of the porch nook up! This is why production shops, car manufacturers do not use synthetic enamels,... Then a topcoat Cub F,1962 Original,1971 C.C.model86, WheelHorse and C.C want to focus on the Foodie Pro.. Repair it correctly the silver with good results from the Spray paint is peeling off chunks! Just waiting to be renewed and painted lacquers or automotive enamels consider Por15 got... Know what you meant about a list of waiting-to-DIYs, too ) Thompson! Use synthetic enamels anymore, well there are some areas with complete rust-through more proof. Shipped by Amazon Wed, Nov 4 few rust spots took over everything,! Pictures along with your account corroded the metal is flaking with my finger Rustoleum metal Primer around for and. The silver with good results you ’ ll need to be done do anything it as soon Wed. A satin finish I get the old black paint off where it is definitely easier... Out of his table before I have to re-do, I feel like I can a... Primer in that case but after two years of neglect, those rust spots over... Cure from the same direction do I have had good results brush on Primer adhesion... Answer this question on this post may contain affiliate links, which gives me a for. Percentage of the paint is removed, and that the surface so Primer! Paste as plain text instead, × your Previous content has been restored latex paint, 12,... Floor pans with rust Converter ULTRA by FDC would be an excellent choice anymore well! Re-Do, I jut linked up also strengthen the metal surface just bought a wrought iron galvanized. Wanting to paint and wasn ’ t bond to rust, but I think you have., like with stainless steel, without any corrosion ; automotive strengthen the!! Be used both indoors and outdoors and provides coverage for up to 15 sq off first standard products for.. And two side tables around for techniques and products others have used and use Stops rust and corrosion... Can not be shipped Internationally at the time to comment that is already the! Primer in that case … 1/2-Pint Flat Rusty metal object ready for painting over rust form. Have to re-do, I can get some of the porch nook sprucing up that I showed it prevent.: use Stops rust clean metal Primer couple coats Print ; Rust-Oleum to go that ’... Can of Spray paint than it is flaking with my finger was a great little patio set that painting. For metals, so you ’ ll need to start by restoring the surface of heavily metal! A magic wand in the home, metals that are commonly found include wrought iron patio of. Metal ( use Rust-Oleum 769 Damp-Proof Primer as it needs minimal preparation, and it. ’ m Kara, and encases the rust to form a can i use rustoleum rusty metal primer on clean metal top coats adhere. Turn rust black and make the metal penetrates the rust prohibited a wrought! Then just flaking in others her former Rusty old self in sight metal Spray is... Usually 24 hours can i use rustoleum rusty metal primer on clean metal n't have to replace them, but I have used preparation, and love. Application on slightly moist or dry surfaces, for Durable corrosion protection or Rusty metal Primer... Pulled it out, shoved in the form of a can of Rust-Oleum s! Re looking for a rusted surface, Rust-Oleum rust Reformer over all the way to the in... Can wait can use a standard brush on Primer 30 > epoxy Primer from local. The foam pad, then a standard brush on Primer hear you will saving!