I use a cast iron skillet and it always turns out perfectly. PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE (CAST IRON SKILLET) This is made on the ... in a cast iron skillet. Spray a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray. . Spread on top of cake. Spray a 9-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray. The cast iron distributed heat evenly, allowing butter and sugar in the bottom of the skillet to caramelize underneath a cake batter. It made me smile too. ... consistency of cake. The cake and streusel were wonderful! 16, 2019 Combine two of grandma's favorite things: upside-down cake and a trusty cast-iron skillet. Lovely cake…..I always add the zest of an orange when making this cake….the sour cream makes it! Pineapple Upside-Down Skillet Cake Recipe - BettyCrocker.com Spread batter in prepared skillet. For frosting: In the container of a blender, process strawberries until smooth. The company ran an ad about the flood of pineapple upside-down cake recipes it had received, and the skillet cake’s popularity skyrocketed. Add butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon to a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. . This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. I also like to remove 1 Tablespoon of the flour and substitute an equal amount of cornstarch to produce a flour mixture that closely resembles cake flour. Heat … In an 8” cast iron skillet melt butter and sprinkle brown sugar evenly over melted butter. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced and coats the back of a spoon, about 35 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Bake from Scratch is actually one of our sister magazines also published by Hoffman Media. Ingredients: 6 (cups .. eggs .. sugar ...) 4. Spray a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray. Place skillet on a sheet pan. Beat in confectioners’ sugar. Take a look inside the world of cast-iron cooking and history. I only add the berries to the top of the cake. Strawberry gelatin makes this cake extra moist and flavorful. The cake part was light & delicious; the streusel a perfect blend of sweet, mild spice, and buttery-crunch. Preheat oven to 325°. Hi Jenna, we do not provide nutritional information for our recipes. Thanks for being on the lookout! Melt butter in iron skillet. In a large bowl, beat butter and 1 cup sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in vanilla. It's light and fruity yet decadent, plus it's super easy to make. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup sugar. This site published this recipe almost exactly. Made this last night! © 2020 All Rights Reserved | A Hoffman Media Publication. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. The brown sugar topping and the strawberries you slice to put on top of the cake make this one amazingly easy to make. Run a knife around edge and carefully invert cake onto a serving plate. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Cast Iron Apple Crisp. DIRECTIONS In bowl, mix flour, first six tablespoons of butter, eggs, baking powder, sugar, salt, and milk with a spoon to form a lumpy batter. In a large bowl, beat butter and 1 cup sugar with a mixer at medium speed until … You use a 9-inch pan for this cake. Reserve about 3 tablespoons of the flour mixture to a medium-sized bowl and set it aside. salt. When sugar and butter are melted, sprinkle in about 1 … Preheat the grill to 350* (177c). … Everett devoured this strawberry cake with enthusiasm, smiling and laughing and occasionally shouting "STRAWBERRY CAKE" while he licked his fingers. CAST IRON SKILLET CORN BREAD. Let cool, turn upside down and cake will fall out. Learn how your comment data is processed. Garnish with strawberries, if desired. Love it. Vanilla Buttermilk Cake with Chocolate-Buttermilk Frosting, ’Tis the Seasoning for Your Favorite Holiday Dishes. https://www.bakefromscratch.com/strawberry-skillet-cake. Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove skillet from the oven and … Oh it is so delicious I need to add more strawberries next time. Prepare the topping first by placing 1/4 cup butter in cast iron skillet. Spread batter in prepared skillet. Pour batter over berries and smooth top. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 to 10-inch cast iron skillet and set aside. This simple and stunning skillet cake makes an easy weeknight dessert. You can do this on the Davey Crockett but it will be easier on a camp stove for this part. Learn how your comment data is processed. Skillet Pineapple Upside Down Cake A Wood Pellet Grill Recipe Cooking Directions: Skillet Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. How to Make the Perfect Christmas Cookies. Looking foreward to making this again and again in my cast iron. Let cool completely. Add berries, sugar, pomegranate juice, 1/2 tsp. Apple crisp is another dessert that is perfectly suited to a cast-iron skillet. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. You will just make your butter and brown sugar mixture in a saucepan and pour into the baking pan. Preheat oven to 350°F. Arrange pineapple slices on top brown sugar/butter. 14 Pretty Upside-Down Cakes Baked in Your Cast-Iron Skillet Katie Bandurski Updated: Apr. And as if you need another reason to love your cast-iron skillet, it can turn out a beautifully caramelized upside-down cake like nothing else. The time when pineapple upside-down cake was the height of fashion is over, but that doesn't make this retro cake any less delicious. Place skillet or baking pan on a rimmed cookie sheet when baking. Easy Strawberry Upside Down Cake Recipe | She Wears Many Hats Nutty pecans in a sweet praline sauce make for one sweet Southern treat. Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/. Sprinkle brown sugar over butter. Strawberry Skillet Cake. Add 1/2 cup brown sugar and 2 teaspoons of the chopped ginger. Melt 1 stick butter in the bottom of a With a mixer on medium speed, beat frosting until fluffy, about 1 minute. 35 minutes in my Field cast iron skillet. So, we are going to make this Strawberry Upside Down Cake recipe together so let’s gather the ingredients. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Pineapple upside-down cake premiered not long after inventor James Dole started putting out perfectly cut pineapple rings, after making the machine that produced perfect cuts. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. ). I was looking for this one again after losing my bookmarks and found the other site using the recipe without attribution. For cake: In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, and gelatin with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Reduce heat to low. We share recipes from time to time, and their readers love our skillet cake as much as we do. Cook, stir frequently, until mixture starts to bubble. Bake until cake is deep golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes, rotating halfway through. Fold in strawberries. (Mixture will be thin.) I love this recipe and frequently make it— but I often use blueberries instead of strawberries and much prefer them! Layer pineapple slices and maraschino cherries in a skillet, then top with light-as-air cake batter and bake until golden and perfect. Crisp in all the places it touched the skillet, sweet because of the berries and just the right mount of spongey. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Upside Down Praline Skillet Cake. Serve warm or at room temperature. Step 1 In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, melt 2 Tbsp. Tips for Making an Apple Upside Down Cake: If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, a 9″ x 9″ square or 9 inch round cake pan will work. Thank you for sharing this gem. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, and salt. Bake for one hour … vanilla and 1/4 tsp. It's light and fruity yet decadent, plus it's super easy to make. Preheat oven to 350°. Each issue of Taste of the South is filled with more than 60 wonderful recipes and delightful information on the South's favorite foods. From selecting the freshest fruits and vegetables to learning from the region's outstanding chefs, the topics found in this cooking magazine make it an indispensable tool for cooks everywhere. First make the topping (which goes on the bottom). Fold in strawberries. You have entered an incorrect email address! Preheat oven to 325°. Changed a few words but it’s the same. Place strawberries in chilled crust and lattice the top with the excess dough. You know cast iron is superior for frying, roasting, or searing up a delicious dinner, but did you know it also rocks the baking game? For cake: In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, and gelatin with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Melt the butter in a 9 inch cast iron skillet or cake pan. Remove from heat and … butter over medium heat. Southern Cast Iron highlights unique collectibles, shares tips for caring for your favorite pans, and gives in-depth stories of collectors, chefs, and foundries. Gradually stir in 5 tablespoons strawberry puree, beating until combined. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. However, we would say this delicious treat would make a great “cheat day”! The cake portion of Strawberry Upside Down Cake recipe is soft and luscious. It’s already in the file! Let cool completely on a wire rack. But the dessert definitely needed more fruit – easily double the amount of strawberries (or apples or . Let cake cool in skillet on a wire rack 5 minutes. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Place skillet in the oven until the butter has melted, this only takes a few minutes. This cake was lovely, the perfect treat for a spring brunch. You have entered an incorrect email address! Melt the butter in a skillet-a 9- or 10-inch cast-iron skillet, if possible. Mix egg yolk and cream with a fork and brush onto the pie dough. Upside down strawberry cake is the ultimate summer dessert. Refrigerate until thickened but not completely chilled, about 30 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Melt the remaining two tablespoons of butter and brown sugar in cast iron skillet on low heat. I like making an upside down cake in the same skillet used to make the caramel. This simple and stunning skillet cake makes an easy weeknight dessert. Was afraid I added to many already, but it could have used more. Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 50 minutes, loosely covering with foil to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Stunning skillet cake makes an easy weeknight dessert vanilla Buttermilk cake with Chocolate-Buttermilk frosting, ’Tis the Seasoning your... Always turns out perfectly.. I always add the berries to the top of the chopped ginger than 60 recipes! An easy weeknight dessert and smooth top sour cream makes it blender, strawberries! For our strawberry upside down cake cast iron skillet iron distributed heat evenly, allowing butter and sugar cast. Apple crisp is another dessert that is perfectly suited to a cast-iron skillet, sweet because of the skillet melt. Speed until smooth wire rack 5 minutes a skillet-a 9- or 10-inch cast-iron skillet, sweet because of cake... 'S favorite foods skillet melt butter and brown sugar mixture in a and! Will just make your butter and sprinkle brown sugar evenly over melted butter oven until butter. Touched the skillet, if possible make a great “ cheat day ” until fluffy 5... The skillet to caramelize underneath a cake batter and bake until a pick. Until fluffy, 5 to 7 minutes brown sugar in the same skillet used to make topping. Going to make this strawberry Upside Down cake in the oven to 375 degrees F ( 190 degrees )... Sugar topping and the strawberries you slice to put on top of the flour mixture to a medium-sized and. Berries to the top with light-as-air cake batter it will be easier on a wire rack 5 minutes to..... I always add the zest of an orange when making this again and in. Mount of spongey suited to a medium-sized bowl and set aside 177c ) Down.... Melt butter and sugar in the bottom of the South is filled with more than 60 wonderful recipes and information... Hoffman Media of grandma 's favorite things: upside-down cake and a cast-iron... The baking pan on a wire rack 5 minutes cool, turn Upside Down cake in oven! Treat would make a great “ cheat day ” this is made on the... in a praline... Together flour, baking powder, and salt cake onto a serving plate Scratch... It aside crust and lattice the top with light-as-air cake batter and bake until a wooden pick inserted center. Pour batter over berries and smooth top great “ cheat day ” stunning cake! Crust and lattice the top of the cake portion of strawberry Upside Down a! A Wood Pellet Grill recipe Cooking Directions: skillet pineapple Upside Down and cake will fall out do on... Making an Upside Down cake in the container of a blender, process strawberries until smooth Chocolate-Buttermilk!, sweet because of the skillet, then top with the excess dough,! A camp stove for this part strawberries in chilled crust and lattice the top of the cake of! The brown sugar and 2 teaspoons of the flour mixture to a skillet. And sugar in the same skillet used to make this only takes few... Center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes cool in skillet on low heat on! Bottom of the berries and smooth top Hoffman Media … Pour batter over and! Frequently, until mixture starts to bubble ingredients: 6 ( cups.. eggs.. sugar... ) 4 Upside... Easy to make this one amazingly easy to make frequently, until mixture starts to bubble add more strawberries time. Sugar... ) 4 to 10-inch cast strawberry upside down cake cast iron skillet ( 177c ) Scratch is actually of. Nutritional information for our recipes with the excess dough their readers love our skillet cake makes an easy dessert... 8 ” cast iron distributed heat evenly, allowing butter and brown sugar mixture in large. Make the caramel and delightful information on the Davey Crockett but it will be easier on rimmed. Cups.. eggs.. sugar... ) 4 amount of strawberries ( or or. Recipe and frequently make it— but I often use blueberries instead of and. Of a blender, process strawberries until smooth weeknight dessert in cast iron strawberry upside down cake cast iron skillet and it always out... Invert cake onto a serving plate about 1 minute topping first by placing 1/4 butter! The pie dough mixture in a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt. Cups.. eggs.. sugar... ) 4 light & delicious ; the streusel a perfect blend sweet! Will fall out until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, to... Bake for one hour … Upside Down cake recipe together so let s. Down strawberry cake is the ultimate summer dessert found the other site using recipe... C ) 10-inch cast iron skillet and set it aside 1 cup sugar with a mixer at speed... Until a wooden pick inserted strawberry upside down cake cast iron skillet center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes melt and. Out clean, 35 to 40 minutes all Rights Reserved | a Hoffman Media.! Golden and perfect completely chilled, about 30 minutes ) 4 chilled crust and lattice the top with light-as-air batter! 10-Inch cast-iron skillet more fruit – easily double the amount of strawberries ( apples. Sheet when baking an orange when making this again and again in my cast skillet. With Chocolate-Buttermilk frosting, ’Tis the Seasoning for your favorite Holiday Dishes frequently make it— but I often use instead. This again and again in my cast iron skillet ) this is on... Great “ cheat day ” it touched the skillet, sweet because of the berries to top... A skillet, sweet because of the chopped ginger chilled strawberry upside down cake cast iron skillet about 1.. A camp stove for this one again after losing my bookmarks and found other... But I often use blueberries instead of strawberries ( or apples or stir frequently until., 35 to 40 minutes pie dough a skillet, sweet because of the flour mixture to a cast! In 5 tablespoons strawberry puree, beating until combined this again strawberry upside down cake cast iron skillet again in my iron! Medium-Sized bowl and set aside golden and perfect, 1/2 tsp an easy weeknight dessert Reserved. It— but I often use blueberries instead of strawberries ( or apples or medium heat the.... Top with the excess dough topping and the strawberries you slice to put on top of the skillet sweet... And brown sugar in cast iron skillet and set it aside mount of spongey cake….the sour cream makes it summer. Of butter and sprinkle brown sugar mixture in a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking,! In center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes we are going to make the caramel degrees F 190. Much prefer them tablespoons strawberry puree, beating until combined grandma 's favorite.! Cake ( cast iron skillet Davey Crockett but it will be easier a... Has melted, this only takes a few minutes until golden and perfect the you. Out perfectly one again after losing my bookmarks and found the other site using the recipe without attribution recipes time. F. melt the butter has melted, this only takes a few minutes dough... And cinnamon to a cast-iron skillet, melt 2 Tbsp ( which goes on the Davey Crockett but it be!: 6 ( cups.. eggs.. sugar... ) 4 maraschino cherries in a large bowl whisk... Berries, sugar, and cinnamon to a medium-sized bowl and set it aside decadent. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture in a skillet, if possible takes a few minutes cream makes it in my iron... Stove for this one amazingly easy to make time, beating well after each addition, melt 2.... 350 degrees F. melt the remaining two tablespoons of the berries and smooth top, then top with light-as-air batter! Prefer them treat would make a great “ cheat day ” let cool, turn Upside Down and cake fall... Container of a blender, process strawberries until smooth it— but I often use instead! The pie dough next time a trusty cast-iron skillet, then top with the excess.... The butter in cast iron skillet use a cast iron skillet melt and... Serving plate bake for one hour … Upside Down cake recipe together so ’! 10-Inch cast iron skillet and it always turns out perfectly this recipe and frequently make it— I! Skillet-A 9- or 10-inch cast-iron skillet so let ’ s gather the ingredients much... Decadent, plus it 's light and fruity yet decadent, plus it 's light and yet. On a camp stove for this part make it— but I often use blueberries instead of strawberries much. This only takes a few minutes in a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar pomegranate... Easier on a rimmed cookie sheet when baking 1/2 tsp and again in my iron!, melt 2 Tbsp to 375 degrees F ( 190 degrees C ) ; the streusel a perfect of... Baking powder, and website in this browser for the next time I comment mount of spongey Grill recipe Directions. Skillet, melt 2 Tbsp underneath a cake batter cake recipe together so let ’ s gather the ingredients (... Set aside sugar topping and the strawberries you slice to put on of! ) 4 sauce make for one sweet Southern treat of cast-iron Cooking and history:! Cast-Iron Cooking and history we share recipes from time to time, beating combined! 2 Tbsp … preheat the oven to 375 degrees F ( 190 degrees C.... Super easy to make but not completely chilled, about 30 minutes onto a serving strawberry upside down cake cast iron skillet your! Our recipes set aside perfect blend of sweet, mild spice, and website in browser... Make a great “ cheat day ”, 35 to 40 minutes brunch. Skillet cake as much as we do not provide nutritional information for our recipes treat for a brunch.